Sunday, August 25, 2013

Malia's Kindergarten Curriculum

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am homeschooling Malia this year for kindergarten and also taking advantage of a program offered one day a week through our local school district (Options program).

I sorted through all kinds of curriculum for this year (there are way too many options!) and this is where I landed.

:: My Father's World - this is a complete kindergarten curriculum but I am mostly using it for the Bible/character components. This is the piece I have been missing in the past 2 years and I am so excited about adding it (and that all of the work is done for me!)

:: Singapore Math 1A - I have 1B too but we will see how far we get this year.

:: How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons - We are picking up where we left off last year - now on lesson 70 and hopeful we can actually finish this year!

:: Atelier Art Program - I got this for free through the school districts program and am so happy with it. Malia has already done 3 of the lessons and woke up this morning asking to do another.

:: Children's Music Academy - She started her second year of this program last week.

So those are the basics. I have lots of other curriculum floating around but I am trying to give her lots of room and time this year to still be a kid, to play, to explore, to imagine, to be read to...

Since both My Father's World and the Options program go through the alphabet, I am finding myself on the verge of starting the good old ABCs for a third time. It took me awhile to accept this, but I am excited now and am having fun coming up with new things for each letter to study/explore.  A bonus of doing the ABCs is that if Davey is around (a.k.a. not napping) when we do school, I have all of the preschool stuff I did with Malia so she can join us on whatever letter we are doing.



No comments: