Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Farmers

Last week we went up to a local farm that lets you harvest your own veggies. You pay a fee per person to their fall festival and then are allowed to take 5 bags of produce home per person. It was Malia, Davey and I (Naomi was thankfully with a sitter for the day!) so came home with 15 bags of stuff!

In the last 6 days, I have made about 17 batches of vegetable soup and filled my freezer! I have also made 2 batches of kale chips (which are strangely addictive) and this weeks menu features a baked spaghetti squash and roasted acorn squash pasta.

It has been a fun challenge to use all of the produce and I am glad that the end of chopping is in sight.

Malia and Davey on the tractor getting ready to go out into the fields.

 Lots and lots of produce including onions, carrots, celery, corn, kale, butternut squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, peppers...

 ... and pumpkins.

I chopped for what seemed like days. One day I enlisted Malia to cut some celery. She actually enjoyed this activity and I appreciated the help.

No comments: