Sunday, September 14, 2014

Gifts

Last week I had another birthday. I was celebrated in many ways by family and friends.  All thoughtful and great reminders of how blessed I am.

On my actual birthday, one of my children was having a hard day. I was feeling discouraged. I read the following and was very encouraged.

"One of the paradoxes of the Christian life is that God's gifts often require labor on our part. God brought the Israelites to the Promised Land and told them He was going to "give" it to them (Num. 13:2). This sounded great to the Israelites until they realized that, with the gift, came battles against giants and fortified cities!"     Henry and Richard Blackaby from Experiencing God Day by Day

Three of my greatest gifts are Malia, Davey and Naomi. And I spend most of my waking hours working to keep these three gifts fed, clothed, educated, etc. It is a lot of work and each day contains battles against sin, pride, wills, unkindness, not being patient. But the hard work doesn't diminish that they are indeed gifts. The work and fighting the battles is God's way of refining me and drawing me closer to Him; a gift in and of itself.

So I am trying to remember when my children don't obey, when they are unkind to others, or when they make (constant) messes that it is all a gift. Maybe it doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings, but it is giving me the chance to be more like my Savior.

____________

One thing I wanted on my birthday was an updated picture of the three girls together. This is what I got. I am posting all of the series because each one made me smile for a different reason. I hope they make you smile too!

  











1 comment:

wolgie wranglers said...

good reminder cj