Saturday, November 01, 2014

Remembering Bobbie

On Tuesday, Andrew's Aunt Bobbie ended her two and half year battle with cancer and went to be with Jesus. I have spent the last few days reflecting on her life.

I think I first met her at our wedding eleven years ago, but then lived a lot of life together during our three years in Orlando where we lived a mile and a half apart.

Bobbie was truly one of a kind. And I wanted to take a few minutes to write some reflections.

She loved being a mother. Obviously the woman who has written all sorts of books about mothering loved being a mother right? But her love of being a mother was contagious. She made you want to be a better mother with her encouragements, support and respect for the role of mothering.

I remember right after I had Malia I was having problems with breastfeeding. Because of restrictions associated with my C-section, Bobbie drove me down to the breastfeeding clinic (right across from M.D. Anderson where she would spend so many days in the future) and was a support and a cheerleader as I struggled with this extremely practical side of being a new mom. She came alongside in those early days as a mother and would take Malia on what she called "a burp-and-sing session."  And she continued to be a cheerleader for me after we moved away. She wrote to me in 2012 and said, "Every time you post pictures, I feel like getting my pom-poms and cheering for you."

She chose joy. Last October, Andrew and I were in Orlando visiting and had a chance to interact with Bobbie after a treatment. She was in her bed, under a mountain of covers, shivering, and her response to us was "People feel bad for me, but look at all of the attention I am getting." Times were hard, her body was failing her and yet she chose to be full of joy. True joy that was not because of circumstances, but because of Jesus living in her.

She loved art and music and thought children should be exposed to both. I remember babysitting a three-year-old boy who had been taught "Holy, Holy, Holy" by Bobbie in his Sunday school class. He knew the verses better than me! That experience showed me that kids can memorize beautiful, meaningful lyrics just as well as nursery rhymes. And so I sing hymns as I put our girls to bed because of Bobbie.

She loved Scripture. I have flipped through some cards and notes she sent me over the years and every single one has a Bible verse handwritten on it. She immersed herself in knowing God's word and used it to encourage those around her.

Bobbie will definitely be missed. I am grateful for the impact she had on my life. And I am grateful for the hope we have thanks to our risen Savior that this is not good-bye forever.  

No comments: